BFL0287 - André Gauvreau

About MAAM-SIM DC-3 cold start in FSX

Hi guy's, as many of you, i like to fly the MAAM-SIM DC-3, but was a bit annoyed by the fact than cold start was not possible in FSX ( at least for me).
    I have read many posts about this bug in many forums & often the solution proposal was to set the FPS slider under 30. It seems to work for somes, but not for me & many others. So i have take a look to see if it can be fix, & suprisingly it had been more easy to fix than i tought it would be. It appear than the FSX engine differ a bit from FS9 reading the aircraft.cfg files. As i had encounter similar problem whit the D18-S , i had take alook to the [piston_engine] section & it look than the "power_scalar=0.89" was a bit too low. changing the value for 1.0 (as almost all airframes), fix the MAAM-SIM DC-3 cold start problem. So whit note pad you could edit the aircraft.cfg section [piston_engine] as follow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [piston_engine]
    power_scalar=1.0 //0.89
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just found this fix yesterday, so far it work ok, if any of you had this cold start problem in FSX (personnaly i got ACCELERATION), just give a try to see if it could work for you too.

If it could help any of you!
    Regards

BFL0287 - André Gauvreau
    It seems to work starting at 0.95.

BFL0268 - Howard Walker
    You can also check the starter torque entry in the engine section of the cfg file and change it to:
    normalized_starter_torque=1.5
    This will also get rid of the proble.
    Howard

BFL0287 - André Gauvreau
    I just read about this fix yesterday on Avsim, in fact it was a better fix ( adressing directly the starting problem), changing the power scalar must affect the engine behavior i guess.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

BFL0268 - Howard Walker
    Yes, changing the power scalar may result in a faster plane at the normal 2,000 RPM/30"MAP which screws up any flight planing. You may find that your plane will cruise at or near 150 knots instead of the published 140 knots at the published power settings.
    Howard